Friday, November 6, 2009

The simple things add up

As a simple homemaker and homeschooling mom to 4 boys, I am limited on what I can do to help us pay off our debts. It is not feasible for me to work a job outside the home when my husband can snatch overtime and make 10 times what I would make working. But still their are ways as a wife I can contribute. The most beneifical way I have found to help the family budget is in the kitchen. This week I worked extra hard at making the most of our food budget. I stocked our freezer by doing a baking day this past Tuesday.

I managed to make 3 casserole dishes, southwestern rollups, 5 batches of pizza dough, and 2 pkgs of cookie dough. I try to spend 2, 3 days a month doing intensive cooking. This not only saves me time and energy in the kitchen..it saves us a bundle of money too! I am not as tempted to eat out when I know coming home from church that southwestern rollups or pizza is ready to go.

I am hoping to make a few more meals tomorrow and I am currently under budget by nearly $60 for our food this week. With my freezer full of meals I hopeI won't need to spend that extra $60!

2 comments:

  1. yum - could you post the recipe for southwestern rollups? Please ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear D and D:

    To Whom It May Concern:

    My name is Rosa Jurjevics and I'm a journalist living in New York City. I'm currently conducting research for an article proposal involving people who blog on the topics of personal unemployment, financial troubles, and the recession in general and came across We Want To Be Debt Free. I'm wondering if you would be interested in participating in said article if it comes to pass.

    Please let me know.

    All the best,
    Rosa

    Rosa Jurjevics
    rosa@rosajurjevics.com

    ReplyDelete